To obtain an application for membership please email our Executive Director at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are submitted electronically to email@example.com or may be mailed or delivered to:
ATT: Board of Directors,
Powell River Child, Youth & Family Services Society,
7105 Nootka Street,
Powell River, BC V8A 5E3
Please review our membership policy for further information:
Members of the Society attend the Annual General Meeting and are encouraged to support the Society in fundraising and to serve as volunteers when opportunities arise. Members are expected to be familiar with the mission and vision of Powell River Child, Youth & Family Services Society. Members are given opportunity to support the work of the Society and to exercise their voice by electing Directors who govern the Society.
Membership in the Society is governed by the following policies:
- Members can be individuals or organizations. The vision and mandate of an organization must not be contrary to the vision and mission of PRCYFSS. Membership is limited to persons who are 19 years of age or older.
- There are two classes of members: organizations and individuals. Only individuals are eligible to serve as Directors.
- All members are voting members and are entitled to one vote.
- Individuals and organizations may apply to the Directors for membership in the Society by completing the current and appropriate application for membership which includes agreeing to and signing the Members Code of Ethics. Applicants submit their applications to the Board at the offices of Powell River Child, Youth & Family Services Society.
- The Board or its designated committee will review applications for membership prior to a member being accepted for membership in the Society.
- Current employees and contractors, and their immediate family members are ineligible for membership. A period of two years must have passed beyond the term of employment or contractual relationship in order for an employee or contractor, or their immediate family members, to be eligible for membership.
- The Society’s Membership year runs from the end of the AGM to the end of following AGM. Fees are due at the end of the AGM. Receipts will be issued for payment of dues.
- New Applicants: To be eligible to vote at the AGM in September, new applicants must have completed and submitted the application form and paid the membership fee by June 1 in order to meet the deadline for review by the board by June 30. Applicants will be notified within 2 weeks of the Board’s decision by mail or email. Applicants ineligible for membership will be refunded their membership fee.
- Members-not-in-good-standing may attend the AGM but must pay the membership fee by June 1 in order to be eligible to vote at the next AGM. Members are not in good standing if they did not renew their membership by paying their fee by the end of the previous AGM. A person shall cease to be a member of the Society on having been a member-not-in-good-standing for 12 consecutive months.
- Changes to membership fees must be approved by the members at the AGM.
- Members are entitled to:
a. One vote
b. a copy of the audited financial statements
c. attend General Meetings
- A person shall cease to be a member of the Society:
a. by delivering their resignation in writing to the secretary of the society or by mailing or delivering it to the address of the society, to be effective immediately on receipt of resignation.
b. on his/her death or, in the case of an organization, on dissolution;
c. on being expelled; or
d. on having been a member not in good standing for 12 consecutive months.
- A member may be expelled by a special resolution of the members passed at a general meeting. The notice of special resolution for expulsion shall be accompanied by a brief statement of the reason or reasons for the proposed expulsion. The person who is the subject of the proposed resolution for expulsion shall be given an opportunity to be heard at the general meeting before the special resolution is put to a vote.